Foro DINASTÍAS | La Realeza a Través de los Siglos.

Nuevo tema Responder al tema  [ 114 mensajes ]  Ir a página Anterior  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Siguiente
Autor Mensaje
 Asunto: Re: MOTORING ROYALS
NotaPublicado: 19 Oct 2009 09:46 

:lol:

Could the Queen Mum drive? Is it known?

The only car-like anecdote I have in my arsenal of royal anecdotes is one where Prince Charles' valet, Stephen Barry, invited the Queen Mother inside a two-door Bentley they were trying out (it was sent on by the company for the Royal Family's road test in Balmoral).

She accepted sheepishly, and when she was about to enter, he lowered the front seat so that she could squeeze into the back. Apparently, this horrified her. She had never been in a sporty two-seater model in her life!

According to Barry, she made a quick excuse (oh, I forgot to do so-and-so) and beat a hasty retreat to the comfort of the castle. (grin)

NotaPublicado: 19 Oct 2009 09:56 
Madre Fundadora

Haha. Nellie. Too funny :thumbup:

NotaPublicado: 19 Oct 2009 10:17 

There are ENDLESS photos of King Alfonso motoring, so many it's hard to know which to show. Here is a good one. A very early photo showing him and the missus out for a spin (possibly in Deauville, where he liked to pop over).

Not sure who the lady is in the backseat, but if it's Princess Beatrice ("Baby Bee") I wouldn't at all be surprised!

Imagen

NotaPublicado: 19 Oct 2009 10:19 

I hope Sabba hasn't already put this one up -- Prince Felipe, the future King, inside his kiddie car. He's SUCH a Gen-Xer.

Imagen

NotaPublicado: 19 Oct 2009 10:39 

King Juan Carlos received a Maybach (the world's most expensive-luxurious car) from the hands of Daimler-Chrylser's president, Dieter Zetsche. It happened in 2006, during an Automobile Fair in Barcelona.

Imagen

The King got the car for a few months in return for telling the company about his experiences later (a sort of VIP test drive).

Imagen

The Maybach, a mythical German luxury brand, came back to production only a few years ago. Their cars are fit for a King, that much is certain.

Imagen

Última edición por Octavius el 19 Oct 2009 11:10, editado 1 vez en total

NotaPublicado: 19 Oct 2009 11:06 

I've been trying to access a Mercedes forum which has a Maybach subforum, to upload a photo I once saw of your typical Maybach owner (and his wife). No faces, obviously. But let's just say, I don't equate that brand with elegance. It's a footballer's car.

IMHO, obviously. ;D

The forum has been down all this time. Maybe there has been a HUGE announcement from Merc to make the servers go down. The drama!

NotaPublicado: 19 Oct 2009 11:21 

Maravilha escribió:
There are ENDLESS photos of King Alfonso motoring, so many it's hard to know which to show. Here is a good one. A very early photo showing him and the missus out for a spin (possibly in Deauville, where he liked to pop over).

I recognize those buildings. They are the Casa de Infantes in La Granja, the Spanish summer Palace near Madrid. During the summer months the Spanish Royal Family fled the heat of Madrid and the court moved to La Granja (in fact 3 of the children of Alfonso and Victoria were born there). Don Alfonso liked to drive himself to and from Madrid (back then it was around 100 km of mountain road).

Here is the family enjoying the cool summers of La Granja (afterwards they went to Santander).

Imagen

I add here a view of the gardens (as seen from the main rooms in the palace) so you see the Guadarrama mountains which provide the cool temperatures in the fierce Castilian summer.

Imagen

NotaPublicado: 23 Oct 2009 11:47 

The Queen taking a driving test in one of those old simulator thingies.

Imagen

"YOU ARE BEING FOLLOWED, YER MAJ"

NotaPublicado: 23 Oct 2009 12:28 

We actually know the date of this photograph! It's 9 October 1913, in Madrid.

I believe King Alphonso is helmetting up for a ride in his Hispano-Suiza. I've actually been inside a vintage Hispano-Suiza -- great car, very beautiful lines. Noisy tho'.

Imagen

NotaPublicado: 23 Oct 2009 13:01 

Good find!

It's more than "his" Hispano-Suiza, Maravilha.

It is the Hispano-Suiza model "Alfonso XIII", as it was called. The king loved the sleek fast cars this Spanish company made and took such an interest that he even became a shareholder in it. He was pivotal in promoting the brand and its models among the upper crust of European society.

A present-day picture of the four-seater version of the Hispano Suiza "Alfonso XIII" (it doesn't seem to have seats, for some reason)

Imagen

NotaPublicado: 23 Oct 2009 13:04 

Gosh! That car is too gorgeous and sleek for words. Somehow it LOOKS like the King...

Does it have a noisy carburettor or something, Octavius? It was very annoying. I can imagine it was used for races, as I've seen photos of the King doing so, and not for a leisurely ride along San Sebastian beaches.

(They've also added a backseat)

NotaPublicado: 23 Oct 2009 13:23 

The noise was (is) part of the allure of sports cars, you see. Until the mid 70s not much emphasis was put on making them hum instead or roar.

Yes, that picture corresponds to a four-seater Alfonso XIII. The two-seater seen in the picture you posted is more like this one.

Imagen

Nuevo tema Responder al tema  [ 114 mensajes ]  Ir a página Anterior  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Siguiente